Thursday, September 30, 2010

Unidimensional/Multidimensional Scales

Part 2  - Take Action
Problem for student to solve:  What is my Plan?
Student Question 5: What can I do to learn what I don’t know?
            This past week, we went over unidimensioal/multidimensional scales, I guess I am kind of familiar with this section. In my first year of doctoral program, an experimental observation class did cover the scection, such as Guttman Scale & Likert Scale. However, I did not see lots of studies using Guttman scale. (Self-evaluation of current status and self-identified goals status. )
Student Question 6:  What could keep me from taking action?
maybe sometimes, too many things going on at the same time, but I have to say writing a blog is good habibbit since it can help me to organize my thoughts and I can go back to check what I said in the previous weeks. Also, I also feel like writing a note here can help me thinking process and clairfy what i do not understand based on our reading or class we have covered.
Student Question 7:  What can I do to remove these barriers?
I would say that i have to set up a regular time to update my thoughts and notes.
I think I have been writing my blog since September. I have already started developing my skills.
I also know some strategies to keep me posting news here.
Student Question 8:  When will I take action?
            Develop a schedule for your action plan.
            Implement your action plan.
            Self-monitor progress

Scale
1) Complex concept cann't measure with one question (like demographics)
2) Operationalization breaks concept down into a number of indicators
3) Scale composed of a number of questions (items) based on indicators
4) Recombined to create concept you intended to measure

Unidimensional/Multidimensional

1) first distinguish between items or questions that make up scale and the scale itself.
2) may be multidimensional, rate connotative meaning abstract concept. Analysis would be to put concept in geometric space, several dimensions.

Unidimensional: Guttman Scale
1) one underlying dimension
2) series of yes/no questions
3) patterned response-once says no, continue with no.
4) look for the hole (breaks in the pattern)

Guttman Scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guttman_scale)
for example:
I believe that this country should allow more immigrants in
I would be comfortable if a new immigrant moved next door to me
I would be comfortable with new immigrants moving into my community
It would be fine with me if new immigrants moved onto my block
I would be comfortable if my child dated a new immigrant
I would permit a child of mine to mary an immigrant.

Unidimensional Likert Scale
1) Likert scale bipolar; measures positive to negative response to a statement.
2) Most commonly used type of scale
3) Likert refers to type of question format

Disadvantages: acquiescence bias; write items some are posed to indicate a lot of the concept; cannot just go down. must read items carefully

No comments:

Post a Comment